McCoysville Presbyterian celebrates 220 years
McCOYSVILLE — McCoysville Presbyterian Church will be celebrating more than Reformation on Sunday, Oct. 31.
The church will be celebrating 220 years of ministry with a worship service at 11 a.m. Attendees can take a tour through the church and check out the memorabilia at the open house from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
The church is located at 2562 McCoysville Road, McCoysville.
According to a news release from the church, Presbyterians have been worshiping in the area of McCoysville since around 1745 when Scots-Irish Presbyterians started settling in the area.
In 1777 Rev. William Logan, who was pastor at what is now Mexico Presbyterian Church, started traveling to the area to preach.
In 1801, a Presbyterian congregation was formally organized and a log church built on land given to them by the descendants of Francis Innis. The McCoysville congregation continued sharing a pastor with Mexico Presbyterian Church. The Rev. Thomas Smith was their first pastor in 1801 and the Rev. James Shields served from 1835 until 1862.
During that time the congregation grew and replaced the log building with a frame building in 1836. In 1862, McCoysville started sharing a pastor with Concord Presbyterian Church. The Rev. J.A. McGill served both congregations until 1885. The land where that log church was first built continues to serve as the McCoysville Cemetery today. However, big changes for the congregation would take place in 1871. (information in this article was gathered from A Bicentennial History of the Presbytery of Carlisle, Glise & Snyder editors. Plank’s Suburban Press, Camp Hill, PA 1986.)
To share memorabilia from the village of McCoysville or from the church that you would like to share, call Pat Henry at (717) 734-3876.