Bearcats edge rival Mount Union

HUNTINGDON — Mount Union and Huntingdon, a couple backyard rivals, faced off Friday night in Huntingdon for their season opener to see just what the preseason workouts have produced and see where they need to go for the upcoming season. The two teams matched up well with both teams having areas that worked out and then some that did not.

Huntingdon put up a touchdown in the second quarter along with a safety in the third quarter to log an 8-0 shutout over the Trojans.

“Huntingdon is a good team and played well tonight,” Mount Union’s first-year coach, Rob Turner, said. “We would get a drive going and mental mistakes along with penalties would stall the drive or disrupt the momentum. The defense played well up front getting inside most of the night. We just could not get the offense going. We will clean up our mistakes and work on the offense. I am proud of the effort that the team made here tonight.”

The first quarter started with Huntingdon receiving the kick and moving the ball until the Trojans stopped the drive, forcing a punt. The Trojans could not get rolling and went four downs and out puntting the ball back in the hands of the Bearcats. They marched downfield and a big pass block by Kobe Hand on a third down put pressure on the Bearcats turning the ball over on downs the next play.

Mount Union still was not able to get the drive going and Darin Harmin picked off an Ethan Carbaugh pass to get Huntingdon back the ball. Mount Union had its back to the goal and held at the end of the scoreless first quarter.

Mount Union continued to have problems getting the offense on track, getting its first break of the evening when Blake Woodward picked off a Nick Troha pass in the end zone. Mount Union started to get a drive going and a penalty got in the way.

The clock showed 4:54 when Troha found Andrew Miller in the left side of the end zone for a 26-yard touchdown pass for the only touchdown scored in the game. The kick after had a bad snap and failed. Mount Union had two more possessions in the half and could not move the ball.

The Trojans got the kick to start the third quarter and Carbaugh put the team on his back and carried the ball six times in a row to start the quarter. The Trojans gained three first downs with Klayton Willoughby getting the call for five plays before the Bearcats stopped the drive forcing the kick. The Bearcats could not get it going and punted to the Trojans.

On the first play Harmin recovered a fumble in the middle of the line to get the Bearcats the ball back. The Bearcats tried to score throwing deep with Carbaugh pulling in an interception from Joshua Hollibaugh to get the Trojans the ball back. The Trojans had their back to the goal and penalties put them back on the two-yard line; a bad snap put Carbaugh back in the end zone caught for a safety with eight seconds on the clock.

Huntingdon 8, Mount Union 0


Mount Union 0 0 0 0–0

Huntingdon 0 6 2 0–8

Second Quarter

H– Miller 26 pass from Troha (Kick failed), 4:54.

Third Quarter

H– Safety, 0:08.



First downs 8 12

Total yards 140 187

Rushes-yards 100 51

Yards passing 40 136

Passing (comp.-att.-int.) 3-10-2 15-26-2

Fumbles-lost 1-1 1-0

Penalties-yards 12-93 6-55

Punts-avg. 6-23.8 3-22.0


RUSHING: MU– Carbaugh 19-77, Willoughby 14-23; H– Troha 14-40, Cook 11-13, Fultz 5-(-4), Team 3-(-5).

PASSING: MU– Carbaugh 3-10-2-40; H– Troha 15-26-2-136 TD.

RECEIVING: MU– Lear 1-25, Willooughy 1-11, Fortson 1-4; H– Miller 5-46 TD, Fultz 5-48, Harman 3-38, Baney 1-5, Scaccia 1-(-1).