Local faces more charges from standoff

Man pointed gun at police, disabled police recon drone

BURNHAM — A man involved in a police standoff that shut down part of Logan Boulevard in Burnham for several hours on Thursday, June 3, is facing more charges.

Jason T. First, 51, of Lewistown, was charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault — fear of serious bodily injury, two felony counts of terroristic threats, five counts of possession of firearm when prohibited, resisting arrest, two counts of simple assault and criminal mischief.

First was arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Jack Miller on June 8.

These charges are in addition to two felony counts of aggravated assault for attempting to injure others, which was arraigned on last week.

According to the Affidavit of Probable Cause, Mifflin County Regional Police were dispatched to 402 South Logan Boulevard because First had allegedly ingested multiple illegal drugs including methamphetamine, heroin, suboxone and alcohol and was getting violent.

A witness provided a written statement to police that said First’s neighbors called the witness on June 2. “I came to help him and he was strung out. He said ‘I’m out of here, cops are coming, and I will (expletive) shoot them all.” The report states that First went to bed and the witness went to check on him about 11:15 p.m.

“I arrived and my mom was here to talk him down. He had syringes. He went to the bathroom to shoot up multiple times. He was extremely disoriented and anxious. Gun was laying on the living room couch, so I called for assistance.”

According to the report, police arrived about 1:55 a.m. June 3.

Officers then entered the residence and attempted to make contact with First, who said nothing was going on, and that he wanted to go to bed and that he didn’t know why police were there.

According to the report, as officers approached First, he attempted to close the bedroom door and there was a struggle over the door. The door then swung open and First was holding a camo-colored shotgun and pointed it at the officers.

The report says police asked First multiple times to come out of the bedroom to talk with them. First stated that he was confused about what was going on and refused to leave the doorway of the bedroom.

According to the report, one of the officers attempted to tase First, but the taser did not deploy.

The report indicates that at one point, First made suicidal comments, asking if they thought he could kill himself with a shotgun, then asking the police to kill him.

According to the report, First went back into the bedroom and officers heard the “racking” of a shotgun. Police then left the residence.

At about 3:10 a.m., Pennsylvania State Police Special Emergency Response Team was called to respond and residents in the vicinity of were evacuated from their homes. At that time, roadways were also closed off to public.

At about 8:12 a.m., state police used flash bangs, followed by four rounds of gas. At 9:56 a.m., it was determined that First was still barricaded in the apartment and refusing to exit. PSP deployed a drone into the apartment for video surveillance, which First disabled. Electricity and water services were cut off from the building at about 10:20 a.m. After visual confirmation that First was still barricaded in the apartment, refusing to comply with PSP demands, heavy gas via hot box was deployed. Police took First into custody about 11:36 a.m.

According to the report, first physically fought with police and was still noncompliant. At about noon, he was transported to Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital for treatment.

After First was taken into custody, Burnham Fire Company and Yeagertown Fire Company arrived on scene to decontaminate the site. The following items were taken into evidence: a Browning BL 22, .22 caliber with a Kassnar 3-9x scope, a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge shotgun, an Ithaca 37 Featherlight, 12 gauge shotgun, a Browning Gold Hunter, 12 gauge camo shotgun, a Remington 572 Fieldmaster with a Bushnell 4x custom scope, Blazer .22 long rifle ammo, Wolf 7.62 ammo, an uncapped syringe, capped syringes, two pipes commonly used to ingest illegal drugs, green marijuana leaf, scales and paraphernalia.

First is in custody, unable to post $200,000 bail. He is awaiting a preliminary hearing, set for 9 a.m. June 16.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $3.92/week.

Subscribe Today