No treasure for Trojans in loss

MOUNT UNION – The Mount Union boys basketball team couldn’t sustain a 14-0 fourth quarter run that saw them overcome a 12-point deficit to take a two-point lead.

Trevon Walker, who scored 24 points, missed a potential game-tying 3-pointer as time expired to give Williamsburg the 62-59 victory.

“It was a broken play,” Walker said. “We didn’t get the guy open that we wanted to shoot it. It happens. We just have to fight back on Wednesday.”

Walker was the bright spot for Trojans in the first half, scoring 15 of his team’s 23 points before the break.

Guard B.J. Loner was in foul trouble most of the opening half and proved to be a force in the second half, disrupting Williamsburg and scoring eight points.

Loner’s pass to Walker gave the Trojans the 52-50 lead, their first since 6-4 near the beginning of the game.

“It was important,” Walker said of his teammate’s second half play. “It sparked our team, it sparked the crowd, it got the fans into it. It helped a lot.”

Austin McGonagle, who totaled 22 points on the night, answered with a 3-pointer to put the Blue Pirates back ahead with 2:40 to go in the game.

Cody Palmer’s basket stretched the lead back to three at 55-52.

Loner answered with a jumper to get the Trojans back within one point.

Bruce Young was fouled twice and made the front and of a 1-and-1 twice to get the Williamsburg lead back to three.

Brandon Ross added another free throw to make it a four point lead before Kole House’s 3-pointer made it a one point game again with 16.2 seconds remaining.

Ross got behind the Mount Union defense after the ensuing out of bounds play to score two more with 4.4 seconds left.

A Blue Pirate tipped the in-bound pass around mid-court and gave the Trojans the ball at that spot with 1.8 seconds to play.

Mount Union couldn’t get the ball to the primary read on the play and Walker’s leaning, contested three didn’t go down.

“We got off to a slow start,” Mount Union assistant coach Casey Hanlon said. “It forced us to play from behind. Every time we got close or took the lead, we self destructed.”

Loner cut the Williamsburg lead to eight at 46-38 with 38 seconds left in the third quarter, but Williamsburg answered with two critical baskets the remainder of the quarter.

Tyler Shaw scored on a layup and was fouled, but missed the free throw and Young made a basket to make it 50-38 going to the fourth quarter.

Mount Union scored 21 points in the fourth quarter to narrowly miss its first half total of 23.

“We were pleased with the fourth quarter effort,” Hanlon said. Hanlon said the Trojans need to play better earlier in the game instead of digging a hole and attempting to climb out of it.

Williamsburg created its largest lead of the game at 41-27 with 4:19 left in the third quarter.

Mount Union scored 32 points the remaining 12 minutes of the game.

“We had heart,” Walker said. “It’s difficult for this loss, but we had heart to fight back, it just didn’t end our way.”

Williamsburg took the junior varsity game 31-19.

Mount Union (6-6, 4-2 ICC) will be in action next on Wednesday hosting Tyrone.