Trojans roll to 3-0

THREE SPRINGS – After two consecutive close wins, the Mount Union football team made quick work out of its rival Southern Huntingdon Friday night, defeating the Rockets 45-6 in a mercy-rule shortened game.

“They gave us a lot good breaks early in the first half on a couple fumbles early,” Mount Union coach Dayton Shugarts said. “I thought our kids played well. I thought our running game still is not what I would like it to be.

“If we can get our running going like our passing game, I think we’ll really have something.”

With the victory, the Trojans improved their record to a spotless 3-0 while the Rockets are still looking for their first win of the year.

Quarterback Trevon Walker sparked Mount Union early on, throwing three first-half touchdown passes, accumulating 159 yards in the air.

On the ground, the Trojans were led by Dylan Smith, who muscled his way for a tough 117-yard effort.

It didn’t take long for Mount Union to get on the scoreboard as it went right to work after holding Southern to a three-and-out on its opening possession.

The Trojans started their first drive on their 21. It took just four plays to have Walker loft a home run throw to a wide open B.J. Loner. Loner was too fast for the defensive backs who were following him as he coasted in for a 64-yard touchdown reception.

With a Smith kick, Mount Union had a 7-0 lead with 7:31 showing on the opening-quarter clock.

Disaster struck Southern Huntingdon on its next offensive possession when the football was fumbled by the Rockets quarterback. When the referees got to the bottom of the pile, numerous Trojans were there to celebrate the turnover.

Two plays later, the Trojan offense struck once again. Walker hit Devon Kylor for 52-yard hookup, upping the score to 13-0 with just a little over a minute taken off the clock.

Mount Union’s defense was tough all evening, allowing just seven yards in the air and 124 on the ground.

Before the quarter ended, the Trojans took one more drive and cashed it in. It took the Trojans five plays this time to go 83 yards.

On this drive the Trojans went to the ground and gave it right to Smith as he blazed his way in from the 8, upping the lead to 19-0.

The team’s only miscue of the game also happened in the first quarter.

With the ball in their own territory with 23 seconds on the clock, Walker was picked off by the Rockets’ Tyler Watkins.

Watkins had nothing but daylight ahead of him as he turned the interception into a 30-yard touchdown, cutting the Mount Union lead to 19-6 at the end of the quarter. It was the first and last time Southern Huntingdon would cross into the end zone.

One miscue did not seem to phase the Trojans at all as they were at it once again in the second scoring two touchdowns to take a 31-6 lead going into the intermission.

Fourteen more points in the third quarter meant a running clock. With the convincing win, Mount Union’s coach was proud of the accomplishment.

“They are a good group of kids,” Shugarts said. “They play with heart. What I like most about them is the lack of unnecessary penalties. We haven’t hurt ourselves with them and that’s what I like.”