Herd blanks Huskies

LEWISTOWN – Zach Louden picked up goals in the first and second halves to help lead the Carlisle boys soccer team to a 6-0 Commonwealth Division victory over Mifflin County Thursday.

Mifflin County had problems with its offensive attack for most of the contest, picking up only three shots on goal the entire game while the Thundering Herd spent most of its time in the Huskies’ back third, picking up 42 total shots on goal.

Carlisle also led in the corner department, picking up 11 while Mifflin County failed to create one corner kick opportunity.

Mifflin County goalie Noah Fisher came up strong for the Huskies, snagging 16 saves, while Carlisle’s goalkeeper Christian Pavlovich had three.

“Noah played well. We had a few mistakes and that’s inexperience right there and its going to come along. He’ll get there. He shows a lot of promise,” Mifflin County coach Robert Lepley said. “As for the game, it was simple breakdowns that hurt us. We can’t put a complete game together and we broke down on defense tonight a couple of times. It’s really putting our defense and midfielders and forwards together.”

It didn’t take very long for the Herd to march their way down the field, pushing the Huskies back. Carlisle kept putting the pressure on the Mifflin County goal, putting five quick shots at the goal.

The Huskies defense killed the two first corner opportunities before the Herd would find a crack in the Mifflin County defense.

Hunter Scott got his team on the scoreboard when he got the ball via a goalie punt and drove down, sending it home and into the back of the net, making it 1-0.

Mifflin County had a couple of chances but each time the Herd’s defense collapsed before the home team got a clean look at the Carlisle goal.

Ten minutes after the first, Carlisle’s Zach Louden posted the Herd’s second goal of the game as he was able to pull out the Mifflin County goalie and snuck one past him.

Before the half ended, Carlisle picked up an insurance goal to give the Herd a comfortable 3-0 advantage at the intermission. The goal came from the foot of Zach Mitchiner with 11:14 left.

At the half, Carlisle led in shots 22-2.

In the second half, after holding the Herd scoreless in the first 10 minutes, Carlisle picked up two goals within the span of a minute.

With 31:20 to play, Martin Riggins picked up an unassisted goal, upping the score to 4-0. Only 54 ticks later, Trevor Wise picked up a goal to go with his earlier assist, increasing the lead to 5-0.

Carlisle got one last goal with 7:04 left for the 6-0 victory.

Mifflin County is back in action Saturday as it travels to Central Dauphin for a 6 p.m. game.