Trojans own second half, OT

HUNTINGDON – Friday night’s season opening matchup between Mount Union and Huntingdon was a tale of two halves.

It would be the Trojans who would take the second half, and they weren’t afraid to go the extra mile to do it.

Thanks to B.J. Loner’s 15-yard scamper on a reverse play in overtime, Mount Union defeated Huntingdon, 26-20, at a fired up War Vets Memorial Field

“When I see my blockers doing what they need to do, I hit the hole,” he said of his game-winning score.

Following a scoreless first, the Bearcats struck first as Jon Wagner intercepted a Trevon Walker pass and returned it 48 yards to put the home team ahead, 6-0 with under 5:30 to play in the half.

The Trojans would turn the ball over twice, and fumble the ball three times.

After trading punts to start the second half, Huntingdon struck again.

Running back Devon Claar’s 47-yard run set up Mitchel Lauer to score on a one yard draw play to give the Bearcats a 14-0 cushion.

“You can’t ask more for kids to come back they way they did. It was absolutely amazing,” Mount Union coach Dayton Shugarts said.

Mount Union would take over from there.

It would take just over 1:20 for Walker to find Klayton Heffner for a 49-yard strike to put the Trojans on the board and cut the deficit to 14-6.

“We made too many penalties,” Hudy said. We had a couple of personal fouls, (and had) a lack of discipline.”

Huntingdon scored one more time on a 70-yard scamper by Claar to give Huntingdon a 20-6 lead through three.

Loner would take over from there.

Just seconds into the final stanza the junior wide-receiver scored his first of three touchdowns on an 8-yard run to bring the Trojans within six.

“The seniors in our locker told us what we needed to do to get back into the game, and we just played our hardest,” Loner said.

He scored the game tying touchdown on a 14-yard pass from Walker to tie the game at 20.

In the overtime period the Bearcats took the ball first, but quarterback Hudson Speck couldn’t prevent a goal line stand on fourth and goal setting up the Troajns for the win.

“We just self-destructed,” Hudy said.

Shugarts couldn’t have been more proud to see his team’s resiliency.

“I can’t single any one of them out, because they all were absolutely superb,” he said.