MIFFLINTOWN - During a brief business meeting on Tuesday, the Juniata County Commissioners:
- Approved a Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency Justice Assistance Grant application as submitted by Chief Probation Officer Michelle A. Beaver. The grant, if successful, would be used for electronic monitoring of non-violent offenders in an effort to reduce the local prison population. The grant would help fund ankle bracelets and GPS monitoring under the terms of supervised bail. It will also fund a part-time position in the probation department. Commissioner Jeffrey Zimmerman said there would be no matching costs required by the county.
- Approved tax exonerations for the following municipalities: Lack Township, Mifflin Borough and Milford Township.
- Approved the Emergency Management Performance Grant application for federal fiscal year 2014 as submitted by Emergency Services Director Allen Weaver.
- Approved the three-year appointment of Thomas Rhine of Mifflintown to an "at-large" member term on the Juniata County Agricultural Land Preservation Board of Directors.
- Approved payment of bills in the amount of $68,404.01.