MIFFLINTOWN - During a short business meeting on Tuesday, the Juniata County Commissioners approved letters of agreement to have the accounting firm of Boyer & Ritter perform audit services for the county for the fiscal year that ended Dec. 31.
The first letter of agreement states the firm will conduct a county-wide audit at a cost not to exceed $39,580. The second letter approves a Department of Public Welfare single audit at a cost not to exceed $5,100. The final letter gives the OK for a compliance audit in accordance with the Public Safety Emergency Act at a cost not to exceed $4,950.
Board Chairman Jeffrey Zimmerman noted this audit is required once every three years for the 911 agent fund and 911 wireless fund.
In other business, the board approved the following individuals to serve as department heads for fiscal year 2014: S. James Bahorik, unanimously as county administrator/chief clerk; Andrew Winder, unanimously as county solicitor; Jeff Haines, unanimously as chief assessor; Brenda Varner, unanimously as tax claim director; Penni Abram, unanimously as Children & Youth Services director; Allen Weaver, unanimously as emergency services and 911 center director; Bradley Kerstetter, unanimously as planning director; Dan Dreese, by a 2-1 margin as veterans affairs director with Robert Reynolds voting in opposition; Eva Stong, unanimously as voter registrar; and Rich Fisher, unanimously as maintenance director.
In other business Tuesday, the commissioners:
- Approved the following commissioner-board appointments: Zimmerman: Juniata River Valley Chamber of Commerce, Juniata River Valley Visitors' Bureau, Agriculture Extension Board, and South-Central Employment Corporation; Reynolds: Local Emergency Planning Commission, Mifflin-Juniata Area Agency on Aging, Ag Land Preservation Board, and Seven Mountains Emergency Medical Services Council; Teresa O'Neal: Conservation District Board, Juniata Valley Behavioral and Developmental Services Executive Committee, Emergency Food & Shelter Program, Human Services & Development Board, and Community Services Block Grant.
- Reappointed Robert Brown of Mifflin to another three-year term on the Juniata County Library Board of Trustees effective Feb. 1.
- Appointed Rosalita Leonard of McAlisterville to a three-year term on the Juniata County Library Board of Trustees effective Feb. 1.
- Approved the "Addendum of Rates for Independent Living Services" between Juniata County Children & Youth Services and Preventative Aftercare Inc. regarding in-home aftercare and independent living services. The original purchase of service agreement was approved Sept. 10.
- Approved checks in the amount of $209,373.38.
After the regular board meeting, the commissioners voted by a 2-1 margin to keep the current slate of officers on the county's salary board: Zimmerman, chairman; Reynolds, vice-chairman; and County Treasurer Sandra King, secretary/treasurer. Commissioner O'Neal voted in opposition.
Also, during a brief retirement board meeting, the commissioners ratified the adoption of technical amendments to the county's retirement plan as required by the IRS and recommended by the Hay group, the actuarial company that manages the system. Zimmerman said the amendments have no impact on the administration or funding of the retirement system and are additions of minor technical provisions that the IRS requires.