LEWISTOWN - A heat lamp blown over by high winds caused the fire that destroyed a Decatur Township home early Thursday morning, area fire officials said.
East Derry Fire Company Chief Ed Mann said the Messermen residence, located at 2425 Back Maitland Road, was fully engulfed in flames by the time first responders arrived. No one was injured in the fire and the American Red Cross is assisting the family, Mann said.
Mann said the fire marshal confirmed the heat lamp was the cause of the fire. He also said the high winds did not help matters any.
Sentinel photo by BRADLEY KREITZER
Charred debris is all that remains after flames engulfed this home early Thursday morning along Back Maitland Road in Decatur Township.
"This was the second fire due to a heat lamp this month." Mann said, "Heat lamps can be very dangerous if not watched properly."
East Derry Fire Co. was assisted at the scene by Burnham Fire Co., Highland Park Hose Co., Decatur Fire Co., Reedsville Fire Co., Milroy Fire Co., United Fire and Rescue, Brooklyn Hose Co., City Hook and Ladder, Granville Fire Co., West Granville Fire Co., McVeytown Fire Co., Belleville Fire Co. and Fame EMS.