Die-hard preppies resist change. They wear topsiders with duct tape (Do we know anyone who has been guilty of this?) They drive their station wagons into the ground. Now preppies can hold onto their classics, but add a new twist with these 10 tips.
1. The new preppy look is sporty, upbeat and a little on the chic side. Toss a button-down oxford cloth shirt over a swimsuit to protect shoulders from harmful rays.
2. Pair a bright colored summer mini with a classic V neck button-down cardigan.
3. Canvas, cotton and rope espadrilles are a must for summer weekends.
4. Remember that a preppy style is not about expensive labels. Cotton canvas, chambray, gingham and seersucker are humble fabrics. They convey an outdoorsy lifestyle that's essential to the preppy look.
5. Thrift shops can be a great source for authentic prep. If you are traveling to destinations with a golf-living population check out local shops.
6. Mix vintage finds with cool, modern separates.
7. Be bold and add prepster extras like a short strand of pearls or a gold charm bracelet to your outfit. They will add a bit of retro appeal.
8. A boy/girl mix is the way to go. Try a girly print miniskirt paired with a boy's oxford shirt.
9. Don't be afraid to mix in one non-preppy element, such as chunky platform sandals, with a little white tennis dress.
10. Embrace preppy fabrics and colors, but be sure to experiment with fit. Extra-big chinos or a "shrunken" seersucker jacket adds a little chicness to the total look.
Dig out that tennis sweater and those tasseled loafers - Go preppy with a little different twist added in!
Contact Jacquie Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org