Warm weather always seems to bring out the stripes. When wearing stripes you can get a passing grade or fail in achieving a trendy "now" look. Here are 10 tips to "ace" the stripes 101 course.
1. Stripes draw eyes to assets and flaws. Place them strategically. If you carry weight around your stomach find a top with stripes above or below.
2. Placing wide stripes around the hips may seem intimidating, but they are an instant boost for a boyish figure.
3. Stripes provide a great starting point for layering pieces. Add a sleek jacket or cardigan over a dress or top. You can stay on trend without overwhelming.
4. Horizontal stripes create width. You don't want to add more volume. When choosing a striped top, pair with skinny jeans or leggings.
5. Don't really dare to go bold? Try low-contrast stripes like pale gray and white. They go well with any color combo.
6. Steer clear of wearing a striped top with a striped jacket. Everything will just look wider.
7. When wearing stripes be sure not to over accessorize.
8. A nautical inspired blue and white striped tee is simple but so chic. Pair it with khakis in an unexpected color, like one of this season's vibrant oranges. Choose a cotton knit that feels a little thicker than a standard T- shirt. It will look crisp but still have enough stretch to flatter your shape.
9. Red and white stripes may be hard to wear. Try a cranberry shade instead.
10. Casual doesn't have to look sloppy. With skinny jeans, a statement bag and fierce heels, a striped top can look very pulled together.
Don't be afraid to hit the streets this season sporting one of the many looks of stripes. The key to looking good is to "master the mix!"