Warm weather brings on a whole new mindset in dressing. It's time to put drab clothing aside and pop into fashion's brightest colors. Here are 10 tips to help you update your look with color.
1. Think neon! Fuchsia, orange, and coral are three of this season's hottest hues. If you don't think you can handle a whole neon outfit, accessorize using these colors instead.
2. Match brights with neutrals (like a lime green with a stark white) for a more wearable feel.
3. You can create an amazing look with one strong head to toe color or with color all over the place and blocked. Color blocked designs ruled the spring runway.
4. Cinnamon, a spicy shade between rusty red and earthy tan, can add a richness to an otherwise dull outfit. For those who tend to shun the color, it's a low-key way to introduce a touch of brightness. Tonal shades like salmon pink, scarlet or tangerine look great paired with cinnamon. For a chic contrast accent with sky blue.
5. Spin the color wheel when coordinating a total look. Pair warm colors like orange and yellow, or stay cool with green and blue. Keep the colors bright!
6. Be sure to grab some arm candy! A vivid structured bag projects polish and panache. Juicy colors like orange, fuchsia, lime, turquoise and purple perk up wardrobe neutrals. If your closet is already filled with a rainbow array, couple a new purse with a complementary shade.
7. Jeans are an easy way to experiment with color blocking. Match a bold colored pair with a solid top in a complementary hue: yellow with purple or peach with a bright blue. You can also go the classic route and wear a crisp tailored white blouse with any pair of rainbow colored jeans.
8. An accent of sky blue will make any outfit pop. A scarf, watchband, or a bangle will add a festive flair.
9. Balance the whimsy of kaleidoscope-colored sandals with simple neutral pants. Choose wide-leg black styles or ankle length skinny white jeans. These shoes draw major attention so make sure toes are neatly polished.
10. Sport a splashy watch. Look for fun crayon-colors to add a burst of energy to a plain workday ensemble. When dressed up with jewelry it's not as casual as you may think. Add a stack of bangles to the same wrist. Make sure the bracelets' metal matches the tone of the watch's hardware.
Don't be afraid to go bold with fashion's bright spots. Remember to adjust your make-up! When wearing bright colors you want an effective contrast.
Contact Jacquie Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.