It's hard to talk about this season's freshest looks without mentioning the word "vintage." Many of spring's trendiest styles mix a vintage vibe with modern polish. Here are 10 vintage "must have" looks to try.
1. Hip length blazer - The blazer is a fashion statement that is here to stay. This season the length is longer with a tapered waistline. Classic colors such as navy, charcoal and gray top the list.
2. Jumpsuit - Disco dressing is making a comeback! Think satin and sequins minus the huge shoulder pads, with shorter sleeves and higher hems. Be sure to keep the look sophisticated and not too revealing. On chilly evenings, cozy up with a soft shawl rather than a structured jacket.
3. Crochet and macrame - Remember all those macrame owls and plant hangers that graced our homes in the '70s? (I was obsessed with the craft.) Crochet and macrame is now a spring classic. Vests and cropped sweaters in ecru and white are great to layer over a white tee or flowy mini. Go casual rather than dressy to keep the look youthful.
4. Belt bag - No, the fanny pack is not being resurrected as a trendy accessory. The belt sporting a small pouch attached with removable clips has hit the runway. Be sure to stay away from a rounded "hiking store" pouch and stick with a square shape.
5.Bright orange - Reminiscent of the neon colors that were seen everywhere in the '70s, bright orange reigns supreme. If you are not brave enough to sport a full-on citrus, add a pop of the hue with a necklace or bag. Don't be afraid to layer tone on tone.
6. Kitten heels -This feminine, low heeled classic shoe is enjoying a resurgence. Toes can be open or pointed (avoid rounded or square.)
7. Flat espadrilles - Just as comfy and breathable as sneakers, the espadrille is infinitely more chic. Wear them with a sundress or jeans and a tee.
8. Floppy hat - Choose lightweight rafia in gray or a neutral color. Accent with a chiffon flower to add a chic touch.
9. Whimsical prints - Witty patterns such as owls or feathers make for playful conversation pieces. Keep the cut simple so that you don't appear dowdy in these "grandma" fabrics.
10. Multi stripes - To insure a true vintage vibe, choose a stripe in an unexpected mix of neon colors in variegated widths, done in swingy, youthful materials. While best for smaller figures, the look can work for curvy types, too. Just be sure to wear the print on top and keep the bottom solid and fitted.
Rarely has the fashion world seen a retro trend come back so literally. Oversize accessories and disco motifs can be a tad costumey. Every once in awhile a lady just has to step outside the comfort zone. Don't knock it until you try it!