It's timeless, it knows no season, it knows no age - it's denim. Here are 10 tips on how to wear denim now.
1. Denim-on-denim is a hot trend, but make sure your denims don't match. You'll look straight from the '80s. Try a chambray shirt with darker-rinse jeans for a slimming effect.
2. Skinny ankle jeans are super exciting because they show off your shoes. Try them with ankle boots or men's style oxfords.
3. Think of denim leggings as the new khakis. They really look great on everyone as long as you don't buy them too tight.
4. Pair high waisted bell bottom jeans with a turtleneck and a bright skinny belt.
5. Don't be intimidated by all the new unexpected looks. Pleated denim trousers and harem styles are very cool in lightweight denim.
6. It's cute to mix masculine and feminine, hard with soft like overalls and a lace top, or a frilly blouse and a jean jacket or denim vest.
7. When shopping for a denim jacket go for a tailored and close-to-the-body style that hits just above the hips. If you're short, pick a cropped version to create the illusion of longer legs.
8. A denim blazer should sit a few inches below the hips.
9. Style a denim jacket by rolling the cuffs and pushing them up, letting a long sleeve T-shirt or bold bracelet pop out.
10. Treat your denim with TLC. Always turn jeans and jackets inside out and wash in cold water, using the delicate cycle. P.S.: Overwashing can wear out the stretch, leading to baggy knees and a saggy butt. Not hot!
Denim is like a good friend. It's been with us our whole lives, through all the good (and not so good) times. Choose it wisely. It will make you look good and last a lifetime, or close to it!
Contact Jacquie Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.