MCIDC considers options

LEWISTOWN — During the quarterly Mifflin County Industrial Development Corporation board meeting on Tuesday, President and CEO Nick Felice advised those in attendance that much of the remaining, unused property in the MCIDC Industrial Plaza could potentially be re-purposed for commercial or residential use.

Felice said the potential for using the properties for anything industrial is unlikely, as most manufacturing and industrial businesses would need more acreage to develop. Therefore, the board is considering adjusting their existing land resources for another purpose within the next three to five years.

Felice also said those on the board who are military veterans will be sponsored by MCIDC in the Lewistown Rotary Flags for Heroes fundraiser. Ruth Eddy, MCIDC board chair, said American flags and plaques will honor anyone considered to be a hero and the honorees will receive his or her plaque after the flags come down. Eddy said the cost to sponsor, not purchase an American flag and attached plaque, is $50 and the deadline to register is May 10. Felice said the Rotary plans to hold a ceremony on Flag Day to showcase the sponsored flags and plaques. The flags will then be flown in Kish Park for at least a week afterwards.

Furthermore, Felice advised the board that approximately 80 percent of the camera surveillance system is operational in the plaza and the remaining 20 percent is expected to be up and running by the end of the summer. Building five is scheduled for a $225,000 roof project within the next 30 days, in which a Conklin system will be used to seal the roof with foaming material. Felice said he plans to attend the United States Department of Commerce Select USA Summit in June, which is held annually and allows organizations like MCIDC to network with foreign companies that have indicated an interest in locating in the United States.

The next MCIDC board meeting is scheduled for 9 a.m. on July 23 in the CareerLink conference room. More information about MCIDC is available online at http://mcidc.org.

COMMENTS