Stambaugh seeks to assist in own defense

LEWISTOWN–Travis Stambaugh, 32, of Enola, requested bail be set on Tuesday, during a hearing held before Judge Aaron Gingrich.

Stambaugh addressed Gingrich personally, stating that his mother’s medical history and her history with the accuser as be considered with regards to bail.

“I got good vibes coming from you now,” Stambaugh said. “I want to speak from my heart.”

Stambaugh also advised Gingrich that he was on state detainer for prior criminal charges and on parole for a state sentence. Stambaugh said he wants returned to a state correctional facility because he believed SCI law libraries to be superior to what is available in the Mifflin County Correctional Facility and plans to utilize the resources available to him to assist in his defense.

Jeff Davis, Stambaugh’s attorney, advised Gingrich that Stambaugh was denied bail during his preliminary arraignment in May and said setting bail would enable Stambaugh “to participate in his own defense.”

District Attorney Christopher Torquato made no objection to bail being set, but requested that the bail be monetary at a recommended amount of $500,000. Torquato argued the nature of the offense for which Stambaugh is charged, his prior criminal record and a previous conviction of record be taken into account.

“There’s no way I can make a half a million dollar bail,” said Stambaugh.

Gingrich said he would take the matter under consideration and rule within a few days. Regardless of the bail amount, Gingrich advised Stambaugh that any bail would be conditional.

“(It would) be a supervised bail, if you make it,” Gingrich said.

According to court documents, Stambaugh shot a Lewistown man in April over an alleged domestic dispute between the man and Stambaugh’s mother. The accuser identified Stambaugh to police as the shooter, noting that he was not initially willing to identify Stambaugh because he had planned to “handle the incident” himself. In a recorded interview, the accuser told police that Stambaugh had burnt him on his right arm, which woke the accuser from sleep, then began threatening him because Stambaugh believed the accuser was going to end his relationship with Stambaugh’s mother. The accuser described Stambaugh’s weapon to police and identified Stambaugh in a photo line-up. Stambaugh was a fugitive from April 10 until May 7, when U.S. Marshals in the Camp Hill area apprehended Stambaugh without incident, according to