Grill fire spoils holiday meal

Cylinder rupture causes Lewistown rectory blaze

LEWISTOWN — A ruptured cylinder caused a grill fire Tuesday evening at the Sacred Heart Church rectory in Lewistown.

Chief Bob Barlett, of City Hook and Ladder, said a grill, which was located too close to the house, caught fire after the rupture and sent flames up the walls of the porch and into the porch ceiling.

Fire crews tore out the roof structure to extinguish the fire. Barlett said there was no damage to the interior of the home, only smoke which was being cleared with a fan.

Father Bill Weary, who lives in the house, tried to make light of the situation by saying he did a “bang-up job as a cook,” but he said he is unsure if he will ever grill again.

Fire and EMS companies that responded to the fire were Brooklyn, City Hook and Ladder, United Fire and Rescue, Fame EMS, East Derry and West Granville.

COMMENTS