Resident alerts officials to possible fire

Sentinel photo by BUFFIE BOYER
Fire crews respond to a reported structure fire on West Seventh Street in Lewistown. The owner reported sparks shooting from the thermostat.

Sentinel photo by BUFFIE BOYER Fire crews respond to a reported structure fire on West Seventh Street in Lewistown. The owner reported sparks shooting from the thermostat.

LEWISTOWN — No one was injured and no damage was caused to a house after a report of a residential fire Tuesday night, in Granville Township.

Fire crews were dispatched around 7:26 p.m. to 1111 W. Seventh St. for a report of an electrical fire in a small trailer home. Junction Fire Company Chief Terry Beers said the owner called 911 after she saw sparks from her thermostat.

Beers explained she went to turn the thermostat to adjust the temperature when she saw the sparks.

“She did the right thing, she called the fire department and evacuated the home,” he said.

Beers also said they called an electrician to come and check the wiring to make sure everything was OK.

“It could have been worse,” Beers said. “You always want to make sure there isn’t a fire elsewhere when electricity is involved.”

To help prevent the spread of fire, if there had been one, and to prevent new sparks, fire crews did cut the power to the home as a precaution until the electrician arrived.

Beers cleared the scene shortly after the arrival of the electrician.

Junction was assisted on the scene by Brooklyn Hose, Burnham, East Derry, Highland Park, Reedsville, Granville and West Granville fire companies. Fame EMS and Granville Township Fire Police also responded to the scene.

COMMENTS