Man charged after allegedly leading 3-county police chase

LEWISTOWN – Brian Decker of Lewistown has been charged after leading police on a three-county pursuit on Nov. 25. Mifflin County Regional Police Department reports.

Police said they were dispatched to the Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital, when it was reported that Decker fled after a warrant had been issued for him from a previous incident. According to a report from MCRPD, it notified the Lewistown Borough Police as MCRPD believed Decker would return to a residence there.

Police said Decker’s family who told police he returned and had gotten into his vehicle and fled the area prior to police arrival.

Police said Decker and his vehicle were located on Chestnut Street Extended, near the Kepler Bridge. The report said he avoided apprehension by driving onto Green Avenue Extended, before failing to negotiate a left turn onto Knepp Avenue at high speed. Decker then drove through a yard and through a detached garage at the intersection, demolishing the garage and heavily damaging his vehicle, according to the report.

Police said Decker continued to avoid police by driving through Lewistown and onto the U.S. 22 bypass, returning to U.S. 322 west, headed toward Centre County.

MCRPD broadcasted a “be on the lookout” message to various Pennsylvania State Police barracks and the State College Police Department to help to locate Decker and his vehicle. Police said within about 15 minutes of the bulletin, a Pennsylvania State Trooper located the vehicle near Boalsburg, Centre County and began providing detailed locations as Decker continued to lead troopers on a low-speed pursuit through the mountains of Centre, Huntingdon and Mifflin counties.

Police said multiple troopers from different area barracks joined the pursuit, as well as an officer from Armagh Township Police Department.

Police said about 20 miles after Decker was first located and he failed to comply with instructions to stop and failed to respond to emergency lights and sirens, tire deflation devices were set on Stone Creek Road just below the runaway truck ramp on U.S. 322 east on the Seven Mountains. Police said Decker drove over the devices, which caused three out of four tires to become flattened. Police said the chase ended about two-tenths of a mile later.

Police said Decker was taken into custody and transported back to Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital by Milroy EMS for injuries which happened during the crash with the garage.

The report said MCRPD is preparing multiple charges against Decker through Magisterial District Judge Aaron L. Gingrich’s office. Police said charges include fleeing and eluding, damage to unattended property, reckless driving and other offenses.