Deer control options for farmers, landowners

Penn State Extension

Deer Management

Assistance Program (DMAP)

DMAP provides an additional means for landowners to manage deer to meet their land-use goals. It also provides additional opportunities to the hunters who participate in the program.

Hunters are responsible for acquiring the landowner information needed to participate in Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP). Neither the Game Commission, nor license-issuing agents, can provide additional landowner information other than the details available in the Participating Landowners Section.

Public landowners, political subdivisions, government agencies, private landowners or lessees where no fee is charged for hunting, and any defined hunting club are eligible to enroll in DMAP. Qualified landowners are issued DMAP coupons at a rate of up to one coupon for every five acres of cultivated land, or one coupon for every 50 acres of non-cultivated land. Landowners enrolled in DMAP are responsible for providing hunters with information about DMAP harvest permits for their property.

Do landowners participating in DMAP have to allow public hunting?

No. DMAP participants, like landowners participating in Game Commission hunter access programs, have the right to limit the public’s access to their properties regardless of their participation in Game Commission programs.

The 2017 DMAP application time period is complete. DMAP applications for the 2018-19 hunting season will be posted by March 1, 2018. For more information on DMAP visit the Pennsylvania Game Commission website.

Agricultural Deer

Control (Red Tag)


A Red Tag is a special permit for deer control related to agricultural depredation. Applications for deer control permits under this program are made through the district wildlife conservation officer on a form provided by the Commission. Applications are only accepted from persons who are currently enrolled in the Commission’s Hunter Access Cooperator program, except in Wildlife Management Units 5C and 5D (Southeast Pennsylvania). Landowners interested in participating in the Agricultural Deer Control (Red Tag) Program must call the Game Commission Region Office serving the county in which the land to enrolled is located. For more information visit the Pennsylvania Game Commission website.